As mentioned in earlier posts, Bonnie proposed in the late-2000s that we write a Holmes-universe-based novel. As her retirement from federal service approached, she diligently documented various possibilities, characters, historical events, and more, meticulously organizing them in a compact blue notebook. Following her retirement, she continued compiling notes even as she dealt with recurring cancer that ultimately claimed her life in 2022.
In previous posts, I have alluded to certain aspects of characters and plot based on her notes. Today, I’m including images of actual samples from her notebook. Upon reading the novel, you will likely realize connections between the notes and how they shaped the plot and character development.
Weeks after her passing, I began reading the notes, and I could hear her voice distinctly, brimming with excitement and anticipation. It was time to begin. I felt a profound sense of connection to her by engaging in the very endeavor we had envisioned—writing that book together. In April of this year, a little more than three years after her passing, The Crosses ~ A Baker Street Irregulars Mystery was a reality, and I began the submission process. I anticipated the customary fluctuations in consideration and rejection that can persist for months and even years. However, consideration of The Crosses proved exceptional—the swiftest book acceptance in my career and by the most suitable publisher, MX Publishing, the global leader in Sherlock Holmes-related literature.
Set in 1925 Las Cruces, New Mexico, The Crosses delves into the investigation of the murders of three tribal councilors, which has stalled due to accusations of racial bias. When newspaper publisher Bessie de la Paz seeks guidance to revive the investigation, former Baker Street Irregular Ben Irwin arrives to assist her and the investigating deputy sheriff in tracking down the perpetrator. The investigation culminates in a fourth death that leads to the killer but erodes Bessie’s trust in those once closest to her as she increasingly relies on Ben for more than she anticipated.
The Crosses is a fitting memorial to Bonnie, a novel she coauthored in honor of one of her literary heroes and the genre she cherished most. I am grateful to MX Publishing for bringing her vision to a worldwide audience. Additionally, I extend deep gratitude to you and every reader for your interest. The Crosses is available in hardcover, paperback, and digital formats from MX Publishing, Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and other book retailers.

No comments:
Post a Comment